8.11.2005

Can iTune it all out?

Now that the iPod and various mp3 players have taken the world by storm, it seems that music blasting from our ears defines us just as much as, if not more so than, our brand of jeans (Banana Republic or GAP), hairstyle (long and layered with evil bangs, thanks to must-be-blind-as-a-bat [former] hair stylist), watch (Citizen eco-drive, rectangular, silver), or preferred afterwork place of refreshment (Fly or Zebulon).

This morning, I sat next to a clean-cut young woman in a tailored grey skirt suit, and she was listening to 50 Cent at full volume. Had I seen her w/out the loud rapping of bullets astray and surviving in the hood, I would have thought she was more of a Destiny's Child or Coldplay type of girl. Later on my second bus, there was a little man (who did not appear to be of Latino descent) listening to Mariachi music and swaying to and fro with the bus pole. I felt like I was in Taqueria Cancun in the Mission...

It's all a little perplexing. With all of this musical technology, are we branching out of our comfort zones? Am I missing out on this craze by sticking by my trusted CD player and Windows Media Player? As I am obviously guilty of this, would others define me by the notes emanating from my ears? And would I continue to listen to the Dixie Chicks, Gorillaz, Green Day, and pregnant Britney (sans Mr. Federline), or would I branch out into undiscovered territory and jive to the likes of Mozart, Nelly, and Toto Bono Lukua? Have no fear, though, I will never become a Celtic Woman.

No comments: