cranberry-cherry lattice pie
- 3 cups fresh cranberries (washed)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 medium orange, for zest and juice (1 tsp. grated zest; 1/3 cup juice) (i recommend a navel orange- no seeds!)
- 1 cup dried sweet cherries (tart cherries will make it too tart.)
- refrigerated pastry for 2-crust pie
- preheat oven to 375°F. Line baking sheet with foil, and coat 9-inch pie dish with cooking spray.
- place 1 1/2 cups cranberries, 1/2 cup sugar, orange zest, and cherries in food processor, and pulse until berries are coarsely chopped. transfer to bowl, and stir in remaining 1 1/2 cups of cranberries, remaining 1 cup sugar, and orange juice.
- roll 1 piecrust into 10-inch disc. press into prepared pan. spoon in cranberry mixture, and brush edges with water.
- roll second piecrust into 10-inch disc. cut dough into 1-inch-wide strips. lay strips in lattice pattern over top of pie, pressing edges to seal. trim off any excess from strips.
- sprinkle lattice with sugar, and bake on prepared baking sheet 55 minutes, or until filling is bubbly and crust is golden. cool on wire rack.